<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Chrenkoff endorses... 

...John Kerry.

Just kidding.

I'm not an American citizen, have already had my own election a few weeks ago when I happily voted to re-elect John Howard, most of you would know where I stand anyway, and in the end I'm preaching largely to a small but devoted group of the converted.

But there are so many other endorsements out there anyway.

I'm heartened by the number of moderates among my fellow bloggers who have thought about the issues seriously and will be voting for Bush - people like
Ann Althouse, Michael Totten, Meryl Yourish and Marc Danziger to name just four.

I'm amused by the number of people who seem to think very little of Kerry, but will nevertheless be voting for him while holding their noses - people like
Andrew Sullivan, Mark Brown and Jacob Weisberg (hat tip: Best of the Web). Sullivan and Dan Drezner, in fact, are two prominent blogosphere hawks who are nevertheless throwing their lot with Kerry.

I'm even more amused by the diversity of opinion among writers and contributors for the
"Slate", where everyone except one editor, two contributors a brave intern endorses Kerry. At least there are anti-war people there voting for Kerry, as well as pro-war people voting for Kerry.

Speaking of "Slate", Christopher Hitchens's strange endorsement has been a teaser. As
Tim Blair writes, the Brit seems to have flip-flopped since his other recent piece endorsing (kind of) Bush. I read Hitchens's "Slate" endorsement and it seems to me that the "John Kerry" tag put next to his name is a work of an editor - for the life of me, I can't say whom Hitchens really endorses and who he would vote for (Dan Drezner is similarly confused - I think that's exactly the way Hitchens likes it).

Meanwhile, the neo-paleo-con Scott McConnell, the executive editor of Pat Buchanan's
"American Conservative" endorses Kerry.

I don't necessarily ascribe to the view that "S11 changed everything" - but it certainly changed a lot of things, though mostly through exacerbating tensions and uncovering faultlines that were already there since at least the end of the Cold War. The 2004 election is the first presidential contest where the chicken are really coming home to roost - and what strange bedfellows it had made.


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?