<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 13, 2005

What would Saladin think 

The Secretary General of the Muslim Council of Britain says he will not dilute criticism of the establishment because he has received a knighthood.

Sir Iqbal Sacranie told Sky's Sunday with Adam Boulton the honour would not make it more difficult for him to speak out over issues such as the Iraq war.

He said the knighthood, awarded in the Queen's Birthday Honours, recognised "the work of the community at large".
We have certainly gone a long way since the Crusades. Still, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this phenomenon is too widespread. Many Europeans have attained high recognition throughout the Muslim world in the past, but only after conversion to Islam, and I don't imagine many Muslims have been ennobled or awarded high honors throughout the West. All I can say is, thank God that knighthood no longer entails feudal obligations.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?